A warm invitation from Also Ingebretsen’s and a few words from Kari Tauring:
Feeling blue about the purple? Come join us at Norway House where we can celebrate the “real” vikings on Super Bowl Weekend! In fact, the Iron Age Scandinavians who set out on longships would more likely be wearing blue, not purple, since the Byzantine royal family controlled the mollusks which purple came from. Take the horns off your helmets and dress up in your best Iron Age “viking” garb for a free drink ticket. You may even win a prize for best costume! Vølve Kari Tauring is our staff carrier of ceremonies on Saturday February 3rd. A specialist in runes, ballads, and longdances of the Nordic people, vølve Kari will educate while entertaining us in what it really means to be a fan of the vikings. We will “drink skol” at the ice bar sing songs, dance, shop, and show the world how we can be gracious hosts – Welcome to the North
Please join us for an exciting weekend of free, family-friendly fun as we celebrate Midwinter in Minnesota and American Football in true Nordic style! Outside, embracing the cold, with tons of exciting festivities and activities for all ages to enjoy!
“Welcome to the North” will take place on February 3rd and 4th, 2018 at Norway House in Minneapolis, Saturday, February 3, 2018 3:00 pm until 9:00 pm and Sunday, February 4, 2018 2:00 pm until 9:00 pm.
As a celebration of Winter, Northern Culture, the original Viking people, and American Football, “Welcome to the North” features a unique array of outdoor and indoor fun!
Our weekend festivities will include:
- Northern Lights Ice Bar
- Sponsored by Borton Overseas
- Featuring Nordic Cocktails, Beer, Wine, and Mead!
- Viking Costume Contest
- EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO PARTICIPATE!
- Two categories: Historical & Fantastical
- Prizes for best woman, man, & child in both categories
- A Celebration of Traditional Viking Culture
- Featuring Kari Tauring, Vølve and leader of the Vølva Stav Guild
- Viking History Lesson and Quiz
- Stories and songs from the Viking Era
- Traditional Viking Music & Dancing
- Plus learn some Skål songs and Long Dances
- Mini-Market featuring local artisans and small businesses
- Viking Drinking Horns, Winter Apparel, Scandinavian-Inspired Swag, and more!
- Norwegian-inspired food and treats
- Served by Also Ingebretsen’s Kaffe Bar (inside Norway House)
- + “Make Your Own Matpakke” Culture and Food Activity!
- Official Opening of the “In Play” Exhibit
- Inside the Galleri at Norway House
- Regular admission fee applies + become a new member of Norway House and see the exhibits for free!
- Live-Streaming of the big football game on Sunday evening!
- We’re also sad that our home-team didn’t make it to the end, but we’ll make the game fun anyway!
- North Country Raffle
- Many exciting prizes ranging from Viking drinking horns, to winter apparel, footballs, and sports tickets!
- Winter-Inspired Kids activities
- Led by Concordia Language Villages!
- And other exciting activities to be announced leading up to the event…
We are so grateful to all of our sponsors including: The Norwegian Honorary Consulate of Minneapolis, Mindekirken Norwegian Language & Culture Program, Larkin Hoffman, NACC, Spot Stuff, Intercomp Company, Gamle Ode, Vikre Distillery, Urban Forage Winery, Bunker’s Music Bar, Boost Liberia, Jarlsberg, Concordia Language Villages, Kari Tauring, and many individuals who give of their time, energy, and other valuable resources.
This event is FREE and open to ALL!
Facebook Event Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/391842201286102/
Norway House: www.norwayhouse.org
NACC Minneapolis: www.naccminneapolis.org
InJoy Events & Outreach: www.injoyeventsandoutreach.com
Borton Overseas: www.bortonoverseas.com
Kari Tauring: www.karitauring.com
Welcome to the North is brought to you by Norway House, the Norwegian American Chamber of Commerce – Upper Midwest Chapter, and InJoy Events & Outreach, with our Presenting Sponsor, Borton Overseas.